Yield: Makes about 4 x 500 ml jars
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Processing Time: 35 Minutes
Why order out for pizza when you’ve got this terrific basic sauce on hand? Spread this savoury sauce over a pre-made crust and add your favorite toppings for a quick, easy supper. Feel free to add more oregano, pepper and garlic powder but do not change the tomato-lemon juice proportions.
13 cups (3250ml) prepared tomatoes, about 8 1/2 lb(3.8 kg), 50 plum tomatoes
1/2 cup (125 ml) bottled lemon juice
2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano leaves
1 tsp (5 ml) ground pepper
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
• Place 4 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Pass tomatoes through a sieve or food mill, measure 13 cups (3250 ml). (If you do not have a food mill or strainer, blanch, peel, core and chop tomatoes. Place in a colander and let stand 15 minutes; discard liquid and purée tomatoes in a food processor. Measure 13 cups [3250 ml].)
• Place half of the tomato purée in a large stainless steel saucepan; bring to a boil. Maintaining a constant boil, add remaining tomato purée 1 cup (250 ml) at a time. Stir in lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt and garlic powder. Boil hard, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
• Ladle sauce into a hot jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more sauce. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining sauce.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 35 minutes.*
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.