Yield: Makes about 6 x 500 ml jars
Prep Time: 4 hours
Processing Time: 10 Minutes
This beautiful relish complements any hot summer barbecue. For best results, allow two weeks for the flavours to blend before using.
7 cups (1750 ml) peeled and finely chopped cucumbers, about 6 medium
4 cups (1000 ml) finely chopped green peppers, about 4
4 cups (1000 ml) finely chopped red peppers, about 4
2 cups (500 ml) finely chopped celery
1 cup (250 ml) finely chopped onion
1/2 cup (125 ml) pickling salt
2 1/4 cups (550 ml) granulated sugar
3 cups (750 ml) white vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) Each: celery seed and mustard seed
• Prepare vegetables as indicated in ingredient list. If preferred, pulse vegetables in food processor. Do not purée. Measure each separately.
• Combine prepared cucumbers, peppers, celery, onions and pickling salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and let stand 4 hours.
• Place 6 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Drain vegetable mixture through a jelly bag or fine sieve. Rinse with water and drain again. Thoroughly press out excess liquid.
• Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed in a large stainless steel saucepan. Mix well; bring to a boil. Add vegetable mix. Stirring frequently, return to a boil and boil gently 10 minutes.
• Ladle relish into a hot jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more relish. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining relish.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.*
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.