Yield: Depends on how many mushrooms are used.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Processing Time: 45 Minutes
Regardless of your choice or source of vegetables- they are all low acid foods. A pressure canner is the essential piece of equipment required to safely heat process all home canned vegetables.
• Place the required number of clean 250 or 500 ml mason jars on rack in pressure canner; add water and heat jars to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside; heat lids in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and lids hot until ready to use.
• Do not home can wild mushrooms. Clean dirt from mushrooms with a soft brush. Rinse under cold water. Trim stem ends. Leave small mushrooms whole; cut large mushrooms in half. Place mushrooms in a stainless steel saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes. Pack hot mushrooms into 250 ml or 500 ml jars only. Do not use larger volume jars. Add hot cooking liquid.
• Using non-metallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre hot lid on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining mushrooms. If stacking jars, place a second rack between layers of jars.
• When pressure canner is full, adjust water to level as directed by canner manufacturer. Lock canner lid in place and follow manufacturer’s heating instructions. Vent canner–allow steam to escape steadily–for 10 minutes; close vent.
• When canner reaches the pressure appropriate for your altitude* and type of pressure canner, begin counting processing time. Process – heat filled jars – in pressure canner: 250 ml 500 ml jars – 45 minutes; 10 lb (69 kPa) in weighted gauge pressure canner.
• NOTE: processing times indicated are for a weighted gauge pressure canner used at altitudes up to 1,000 ft (305 m). When using a dial gauge pressure canner or canning at higher elevations, adjust pressure according to chart.
• When processing time is complete turn off heat. Allow canner to stand undisturbed until pressure drops to zero. Wait 2 minutes, and then remove cover, tilting it away from your face. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store in a cool, dark place.