Yield: Makes about 8 x 250 ml jars
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Processing Time: 15 Minutes
Braise, bake, grill or broil chicken wings using this delicious make-ahead shelf stable tomato sauce. If you prefer a sauce with more “heat”, feel free to add 2-3 tbsp (25-45 ml) of your favorite hot sauce along with the vinegar and spices.
10 cups (2500 ml) chopped tomatoes, about 5 lb (2.2 kg), 20 medium
2 cup (500ml) chopped onion
1/3 cup (75 ml) brown sugar
1/2 tsp (2 ml) cayenne pepper
1- 1/2 cups (375 ml) white vinegar
4 tsp (20 ml) pickling salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 ml) Each: ground allspice, ground cinnamon, ground cloves,
• Place 8 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and SNAP LID® sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Blanch, peel and coarsely chop tomatoes. Measure 10 cups (2500 ml) tomatoes into a large stainless steel saucepan. Add onion, sugar and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; boil gently, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Remove from heat and purée mixture.
• Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in vinegar, salt, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; boil gently, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency is reached, about 1 hour.
• Ladle sauce into a hot jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more sauce. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot SNAP LID® sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining sauce.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 15 minutes.*
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.