Yield: Makes about 7 x 500 ml jars
Prep Time: 12 hours
Processing Time: 15 Minutes
The perfect pickle for “sweet ‘n’ sour” lovers.
4 lb (1.8 kg) pickling cucumbers
Salt water [1/2 cup (125 ml) pickling salt dissolved in 4 cups (1000 ml) water]
6 medium onions, sliced
4 cups (1000 ml) white vinegar
1 cup (250 ml) water
4 cups (1000 ml) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) pickling salt
5 cloves garlic
5 heads fresh dill, or 10 tsp (50 ml) dill seed
• Wash cucumbers and layer with ice in a large, deep glass or stainless steel container. Add salt water plus enough fresh water to just cover cucumbers. Fill a plastic bag with water and place over ice & cucumbers to keep vegetables submerged. Refrigerate (or place in cool place) overnight (minimum 12 hours).
• Place 7 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Thoroughly drain cucumbers. Slice off and discard 1/8 inch (3 mm) of blossom end. Slice crosswise into coins, 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick; set aside. Peel and thinly slice onions into rings; set aside.
• In a stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar and pickling salt; bring to a boil. Thoroughly drain cucumbers. Add to liquid with onions and return to a boil. Remove from heat.
• In a hot jar, place 1clove garlic and 1 head dill. Pack cucumbers into a hot jar to within 3/4 inch (2 cm) of top rim. Add hot brine to cover cucumbers to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more cucumbers, seasonings and hot brine. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining cucumbers, seasonings and hot brine.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.*
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.