Yield: Makes about 7 x 250 ml jars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Processing Time: 10 Minutes
Fruit Pectin crystals are a fast and easy way to make good old homemade jams. Be sure not to deviate from the ingredient measurements or methods-fruit pectin requires a certain amount of sugar, acid and cooking time to form a proper gel.
4-1/2 cups (1125 ml) crushed Saskatoon berries (about 9 cups of berries)
4 tbsp (60 ml) lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
1 pkg (57 g) BERNARDIN® Original Fruit Pectin
6 cups (1500 ml) granulated sugar
• Place 7 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Wash and crush Saskatoon berries.
• In a large deep stainless steel saucepan, stir together berries, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp (2 ml) butter or margarine to reduce foaming, and BERNARDIN® Original Pectin.
• Measure sugar, set aside.
• Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Add all of the sugar. Stirring constantly, return mixture to full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in orange-flavoured liqueur. Remove from heat; skim off foam, if necessary.
• Ladle hot jam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jam. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealng disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jam.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process – boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
• When processing time is complete, turn stove off, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.